Thursday, December 14, 2006

New Harmony, Indiana

Mary kidnapped me and took me to New Harmony, Indiana for our 1-year anniversary. It was a great time.We rented a log cabin out in the middle of their park, and out of 11 cabins, ours was the only occupied.

There was a wood burning stove in the middle of the living room, a giant bar-like kitchen area, a bathroom, and 2 bedrooms (which we did not use).

We blew up our air matress near the wood burning stove, spent a good hour figuring out how to get a fire started, and then just hung out for a good 2 hours before leaving to eat at the Red Geranium. The food was great. I ordered the roasted duck breast, which I've decided I like much more than chicken. There were "wasabi mashed potatoes" which taste very much like they sound. Fairly gross :P. There was also this new vegatable on my plate. I commented to Mary that it looked like "a cross between broccoli and asparagus". Our waitress must have heard me, and came over to tell me that it is a brand new vegetable, broccoli crossed with asparagus. Neato!

We spent the next day exploring New Harmony. The town looks pretty much like every other run-down town in the midwest except for 1 key difference - The people actually took care of their house and land! The houses, though modest, were very well taken care of and fit perfectly in the quaint little town. There was not even a McDonalds in New Harmony. Their movie theater only had 2 movies, and they both only showed 1 time per day. Despite how ridiculously small the town was, the people still put in enough time to make the place look nice. Other small towns need to follow New Harmony as an example.

We saw the outdoor church, visitors center, and a few other random "old historic" buildings that were lined up as tourist attractions. Much like the cabins, the town was deserted. I suppose December is not their biggest month for tourism. The visitor center (on the right) was the most impressive piece of architecture in the town...and it was out in the middle of nowhere, overlooking


All in all, Mary and I had a great time. We got to spend plenty of time together, without the many distractions of reality. The 1-year anniversary is a big landmark, and really pushes our relationship to a new level. I can only hope the next year is as good as this one was.

'Til next time -

No comments: