Monday, June 23, 2008

SNE Quest - June 23: Fighting Downswings

VPP COUNT: 459815

A while ago, someone wrote, "Eventually, everyone runs worse than they ever expected." This is incredibly true. After playing professionally for years at a time, you are bound to have that one month where things just never work out.

I had an anonymous request in the previous post to give more detail about my recent downswing. Since he called the blog "inspirational", my ego urged me to fulfill his request.

The downswing from this month lasted 65k hands and totaled 22 buyins (from highest point to lowest point), evenly spread through the 600-200NL level. This is probably about 50% more than any previous downswing, as I have a pretty low-variance style. Eventually you just have a month where nothing works out, and much of June was like that for me. I still technically haven't fully recovered. I'm up a bit for the month, but am still about 5-10 buyins away from my previous peak.

SNE has really made it easier to get through downswings. Even when I get repeatedly cold-decked, at least I'm accumulating VPPs and getting closer to my goal. If it weren't for that alternative encouragement, those big downswings would be much more devastating, and would kill my drive to play.

The best advice I can give someone who is currently getting cold-decked: Just step back and look at it from a long-term perspective. If you have lost enough that it has significantly damaged your bankroll(I'd call 50% significant, if you are properly rolled), it may be time to move down or completely re-assess your game, because something is not working. In my case, though the amount of money lost was extremely significant, it worked out to less than 10% of what I've made this year.

So I ended yesterday at about 15k points behind schedule. I'm still on a solid pace to hit 500k by June 30. Unfortunately, this is not going to leave much room for a day off, as my Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays are all pretty much limited to a 3hr session each day. Life is busy.

Hopefully I'll be able to end this month the way I ended May.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good advice about looking at the long-term picture. I'm doing a micro MTT challenge right now and running worse than I ever had but I keep myself sane by telling myself that I want A4 to call my AK shove because "long-term" I will be in front.

I must be a Sklansky millionaire by now though!