Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Campout - A little disappointing

Most of Wednesday, I was planning to go to the Walmart in Boonville, since there would be far less people there, and therefore a higher chance of getting some systems. Then after calling Boonville up a few times, I learned that they wouldnt even let people START to stand in line until 7am the following morning...so people were just wandering around the store waiting until 7am. No thanks to that.

After dinner, about 6:30pm we drove out to the Evansville Walmart, which was right next to Best Buy. We only saw about 5 or 6 tents set up, so we decided that if the Evansville Walmart wasnt a better option, we'd buy a tent and set ourselves up in front of Best Buy.

We picked up a cheapo 25$ tent (which was pretty impressive for its' cost), some batteries, a couple lanterns, and a copy of "Blow" on DVD.

Upon arrival at Best Buy, we learned that we'd be about 25th-26th in line, which was ironic, since all of the buzz on the internet said that Best Buys will be getting 26 systems max. The first night was cold and rainy and pretty miserable. Our tent was leaking (as was everyone else in line), it was easily below 40 degrees, and we were drinking beer, so we'd have to run to the bathroom every hour or so.

After the first night, things improved. It was still pretty damn cold, but the rain never got worse than a drizzle, and the rules of the line were pretty relaxed. We were able to go to neighboring resteraunts and stores to keep warm and occupy ourselves. Around 5pm Thursday we even got the "ok" to go home and clean up, since we had started to smell pretty nasty. The relaxed line rules also worked a little against us, since there was a tent full of high-schoolers near the front of the line. 3 of the kids actually went to high school and came back and still kept their space in line. I called BS on that, but everybody else seemed to have a bit more sympathy.

Wednesday night, the store manager came out and informed us that they will have 20 60gb systems and 10 20gb systems, and anybody beyond #30 in line is unlikely to receive one. This was good news, because we were pretty much guaranteed 2 systems, but I had my eye on the 60gb ones, and wasnt sure if we were close enough to the front to get one.

The next morning when they were passing out the purchasing tickets, Mary and I were #21 and 22 in line. The person in front of me got the very last 60gb system, and I got the first 20gb. Weak. Ah well, they'll still make us a pretty good profit, right? Well...I hope so. Starting Saturday, more than 30k Playstation 3s were listed on ebay, and about 10 of the auctions are ending EVERY MINUTE. By the time thanksgiving rolls around, more than half of the systems that were put on the market will have been resold! I really hope I'll be able to pick up a decent price for them after this initial flood of systems goes away. I think the day after thanksgiving will be the best bet. Still, I dont expect to make more than 1k per system.

Back to the poker grind for me. I've decided that 200NL full ring on PokerStars is just too damn flooded with pros to be worth the time. I am probably going to return to my 6max game, starting at the 100$ level, and moving up accordingly. I'm still in an extended downstreak right now, and my spirits arent very high.

That's about it for me.

No comments: