Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Pot-Limit Omaha - Beginnings

I've given PLO quite a few shots in the past. I never really was too serious about it. I'd just play it when I was sick of Hold'em and wanted to liven things up a bit. And let me tell you, it is quite an experience compared to hold'em. Yesterday and today, I have played about 2.5k hands of 100$ buyin PLO on PokerStars. Either I am incredibly terrible at PLO, or someone must have flipped my doomswitch, because I was greeted with a nice 800$ downswing. I think it was a little bit of both, honestly.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?599292 Nut flush vs. Straight flush... Being a NLHE player, of course my jaw dropped.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?601159 This is one hand that I DEFINITELY should have laid down on the flop. These kids dont reraise much other than AAxx, but my NLHE instincts took over and lost me another 80$.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?601165 I played this one like a big dumb donkey...

http://www.pokerhand.org/?601173 I was looking for hands that I played well, and this really is the best I could come up with, and it is pretty good evidence that I'm starting to be able to transition from NLHE to PLO. Opponents stats showed that he raised less than 2% of his holdings, which at this level almost always means he has AAxx or a strong wrap hand. So if he has AAxx, I win with a 9, J, 7, or any heart - giving me 16 outs, and making me a favorite against AAxx. If he has a hand like TJQK, 9TJQ, or if his AAxx contains 2 hearts, I am in big trouble. But I think I am ahead enough of the time to raise him here and push him out of the hand.

In general, I did overestimate the value of some of my low wrap hands. I also played my KKxx and QQxx hands a bit too frequently out of position, this was improved very much after a few hours of play.

What I've learned so far -
Position is HUGELY important in PLO - much moreso than hold'em.
Very few low level PLO players really know what they're doing.
AAxx is overrated and should not be open-raised in early position.

I've got the odds of the game down. I've been counting outs and reading hands for years, and this part has become second nature to me. Now I need to start to develop a style for myself, and build some confidence in this game like I have in NLHE.

In time I expect to tear Stars PLO apart, simply because it is an untapped resource... While NLHE has been supersaturated with 2+2ers and set-mining grinders.

I plan to practice my PLO game early in the day when the hold'em tables are loaded with rocks and pros. I'll continue my NLHE rampage at night when the fish are swimming. Mixing up games is always good, and keeps my mind fresh.

'Til next time...

No comments: