Monday, November 13, 2006

Capote, Omega IIIs, Downswings, and Episode IV

It has been a few days since I've blogged, and now that I've come back, I've got way too much to write about! Perhaps I should make myself visit more regularly...



Mary and I rented and watched "Capote" tonight, and I've got to say it is one of my favorite movies. Characters like Truman Capoten - brilliantly portrayed by Phillip Seymour Hoffman - are inspiring and motivating to me. I don't think "moved" was the right word, but I was definitely impressed and influenced by this film. I won't go into the details, or repeat the plot of the movie, but I will definitely be reading "In Cold Blood" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" when I have some free time this month. For those of you who have not seen the movie, I would definitely suggest it.

Over the last couple months, I've been doing a pretty good job of cooking for myself - and I've grown a new found respect for eggs. Yes, that's right - eggs. At your local grocery store, you can buy 24 of these bad boys for less than 2$. That's less than 10 cents per egg! These things are packed with protien, Omega IIIs (whatever the hell those are), and all sorts of other stuff that's good for your body. It takes less than 5min to prepare them in whatever way you prefer. You can easily incorporate cheese, salt + pepper, etc. to make them more exciting. Eggs are great. Eat them.



Earlier today, I was playing 9 tables of 200NL full-ring and one 20$ 180man tournament on stars. 9 tables on the left, 1 tourney on the right. I proceded to experience smooth-sailings on the right, and get my ass handed to me on the left. After about 3 hours, I was down a good 900$ on my 200NL tables, and reached the final 4 of the tournament on the right. Unfortunately, my tournament-newbiness lost me the tournament in a KJ v AA hand on a KQxddd board. In my defense, the final table really did not go my way. I ran KK into AA and doubled up one of the players who would eventually reach 3rd place. And I was definitely not receiving my fair share of decent hands to play. Regardless, the hand I busted on could have easily been avoided, and I'll take this lesson to all of the future tournaments I play. I ended up in 4th place for 288$, which is not too damn bad for a 20$ buyin. When balanced against my 900$ downswing at 200NL, it looked much less impressive. I did manage to put in another 2 hours (1.3k hands) at 200NL later tonight, and worked my way back up another 600$. Tonight is just proof that if I stick it out and keep playing my A-game, I can always bring myself back from these ugly downswings.

As I type this blog, I am watching Star Wars: A New Hope. I wish I could have been around when this movie was first released to theaters, and was as revolutionary as it was to its' time. I'd also like to watch the movie before George Lucas decided to fuck with it and add more CG. That crap really wasn't necessary, and hurt the movie more than it helped. Has anybody seen the revised "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi"? They changed the entire ending of the movie! Fuck that. I'd rather watch Episode I (Star Wars: The massive failure) than watch this butchered finale' to Episode VI. Leave your movies in their historic glory, George. Quit fucking with them.


That's it!

No comments: